Friday 16 July 2010

CM - Group _Placement Week 1

Hi there,

I am Rachel Brooks and I am currently studying Multimedia at the University of Gloucestershire. As part of my degree we are given the opportunity to go on an Industrial Placement for a year, where you can learn what is like to implement your knowledge from uni into a real-life work situation.

My placement is with a internationally recognised company called CM-Group. I work for a sub-divison of this group, called Content Master, who develop E-learning courses for worldwide companies such as Microsoft, British Gas, Intel and many more.

I am based just outside Bristol, so it is a fair commute, amounting to a 100 mile round trip each day, however, it will be rewarding when I have my first paycheck at the end of the month, as well the experience and knowledge I am gathering from my time here. We are located just off the M5, J14 in a quiet countryside retreat, with stunning views of the Gloucestershire countryside, looking out over towards the welsh mountains.

During my first week, I was given the chance to settle in and get used to my surroundings, having a play about the software they use to develop their E-learning courses, such as their in-house development tool Luminosity. As side from using Luminosity, many of the development tools I those that I familiar with using at Uni, such as the generic Adobe suite, as well Microsoft's version of Adobe software. This is due to Microsoft being CM-Groups biggest client, so therefore all the content we create is published out in Silverlight, which is Microsoft's versions of the flash player. I have encoded some videos that will be put into a course for a client and then published out in Luminosity.

Overall, I have settled in well and am beginning to find my feet. I am also looking forward to starting work on some new projects coming in next week.

Rach

No comments:

Post a Comment